Family Based Religious Education (FBRE)
Passing On Our Faith
FBRE is a faith formation program for Kindergarten through 8th grade and their parents that provides the opportunity for the family to learn about their faith together. It incorporates the four “pillars” that support the process by which faith is passed on from generation to generation.
In this program a partnership is developed between the family and the parish where the parish will support the parents who are the primary catechists for their children. Instruction is based on the lectionary, the Sunday readings, from which we learn the teachings of Christ and doctrines, traditions, and rituals of the Church along with emphasis on the seven major themes as set out in the “General Directory of Catechesis.”
- Liturgy – where the Word of God and the Eucharist are celebrated at Sunday Mass
- Family – where life lessons, values and virtues are learned
- Community – where we live the Gospel message in our daily lives
- Religious Education – where we deepen our understanding of the teachings of Christ and his Church.
Goals of this faith formation model:
• Deepen our relationship with Jesus Christ
• Empower parents to comfortably share their faith with their children
• Build community
• Encourage participation in the Eucharistic Liturgy, sacraments and parish life
• Provide adults with information to support faith sharing in the home
Structure of the program:
• Families attend once a month for eight months
• Four session choices are available - first or second Wednesday or Friday of the month (Spanish language parent sessions offered all four sessions, English language parent sessions offered second week's sessions)
• Take-home materials are provided for the family to participate in two additional hours of faith formation at home.
• Children preparing for 1st Reconciliation/1st Communion who are in their second year of preparation will use a workbook with their parents in the home, attend two workshops, and participate in liturgical rites during the weekend liturgies.
• Meal (usually pizza)
• Presentation about the liturgical season or a Catholic practice
• Proclamation and discussion of the Gospel reading for Sunday
• Age-appropriate break-out sessions
• Family activity
Registration forms can be found under "Faith Formation Registration" in the drop down menu above. Deadline for registering for this 2016/17 calendar year is August 31st.
If you have any questions about FBRE, please feel free to contact a member of the FBRE team at the parish office - 336-226-8796 - or email either of the following:
Ann Imrick (English) -
Pat Matterson (bilingual) -
Be assured of our continued support of you and your family as we all journey deeper into our faith!